i've waited some days to think about, what you've written. By looking at the MTC Mapping Contest (Stunt) March 2018 i can find only 8 published maps. A really poor participation. And there's a great gap between the Pro-mappers and the others. But that's the situation in the moment. There are some mappers with heavy mapping skills and there are mappers, which are learning.
I've published 56 maps in TM2-Stunts since December 17, but none in TMUF in the last 10 years. I have been spoiled by the possibilities of the editor in TM2: blockmixing, envimixing, embedded items and free rotation of the items. I've tried to like the TMUF editor, but I hated the regulary popup: this block cant be set because blabla. I found out myself, that Challenge Edit exists, but it disturbs the flow. The Unlimiter is a mighty tool, but no one told me, that it is THE tool, which most good mappers use for NORMAL maps. And I don't know all risks using this tool. I'm missing a Mapping School:)
Why I'm telling these story?
Because its hard to expand the number of stunt mapper; not only because of the hard learning curve. There are more reasons i want to tell: the karma voting of maps by some players in the cup is very harsh and demotivating:
Some don't like the envi: ---
Some don't like the mapper: ---
Some don't understand the new tricks in the map: ---
Some hate Fun Maps: ---
Some hate Maps without a possible chain: ---
Its hard for new mappers not to get heavy downvotes, if they have no experience.
Whats the purpose of the Contest for me?
To motivate the Pros to do their best in mapping and helping the Newbies to climb the learning curve. And to motivate new or unexperienced mappers to publish maps which are not perfect, without demotivating them only by ---
The Mapping Contest
- your System is imo to complicated for the low number of active mappers. Lets start more easy. One theme may be enough:
Time limit, a prosaic theme, envimix or not...
- we need a special server for it, the Fire Cup should go on. I can help paying for a server for 2-3 month, but not alone.
- we need a little group with mapper/stunter, which will do the contest (and understand how to prepare and handle a server). I think the contest should not be a pure Fire contest. I think about asking Brain, Glen, Sew and other active players -> a group independed from a clan (like in the BHC). Can you help asking?
- we need a decision, if players vote or a judging team.
I like the Rules
of the MTC Contest, maybe a downgraded version is a good basis to discuss:
->only stunts mode -> no race/stunt mixes.
->all checkpoints must be respawnable.
->Map only 2 minutes max.
->Blockmixing is allowed.
->PF not longer than 15 sec.
->you can submit only 5 maps.
->include a letter combination in the mapname like MC18 (for example)
->the map has to be a new one, not a remixed one.
->updating the track within the deadline is allowed. Mappers should be respectfully shown better solutions for bad passages in the map and ideas for reworking the map.
->deadline: 4-6 weeks?
The Judging System
(if not players vote):
Map Karma is at max. 100% -> max. 100pts per Map
– Flow, smoothness, stunt variety, the general "feel" of the track
- Fun Factor
– A map should make fun to play for all.
- new mapping ideas which work
What do you (or others) think?